HPNA Position Statements
The Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association (HPNA) develops positions relevant to palliative nursing to represent the voice of hospice and palliative nurses. Position statements guide the specialty and reflect the position of the association's membership on the issue.
The process used in the development of a position statement is:
- HPNA Board of Directors will approve the relevant topic for a new statement or a revision/update of a current statement.
- A task force representing membership and stakeholders will be appointed to research and develop a draft position.
- Once the task force completes its work on the new position statement, the draft will be posted on the HPNA website for public comment.
- Following public comment, the statement will be revised if needed and approved by the HPNA Board of Directors.
- Finalized position statements will be available to view on the HPNA website.
The Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association's, Hospice and Palliative Credentialing Center's, and Hospice and Palliative Nurses Foundation's Joint Position Statements
Pain Management at the End of Life (with ASPMN)
Palliative Nursing Leadership
Value of Hospice and Palliative Certification
The Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association Position Statements
Advance Care Planning
Assuring High Quality in Palliative Nursing
(Under revision; current statement still available)
Complementary Therapies in Palliative Nursing Practice
The Ethics of Use of Opioids in Palliative Nursing
Medically Administered Nutrition and Hydration
Medication Safety in Hospice and Palliative Care Settings
Physician Assisted Death/Physician Assisted Suicide
Role of Hospice and Palliative Nurses in Research
(Under revision; current statement not available)
Role of Palliative Care in Donation for Transplantation
Value of the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse in Palliative Care
Value of the Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse in Palliative Care
Value of the Nursing Assistant in Palliative Care
Value of the Professional Nurse in Palliative Care
Withholding and/or Withdrawing Life Sustaining Therapies
Definition of Terms for Position Statements
Guidelines for the Role of the RN and APRN When Hastened Death is Requested