Item Writer Workshops
Secrets of Competency Testing - Writing Items for Hospice and Palliative Certification Exams
With expert assistance from PSI/Applied Measurement Professionals, HPCC offers a unique opportunity for health care professionals involved in the care of patients and families facing life limiting illnesses (APRN, RN, Pediatric RN, NA, Perinatal Loss Care professional) to make a direct contribution to developing the certification examinations. Individuals who have a strong knowledge base in hospice and palliative care are welcome. Expertise in item writing or test development is not required. Certification is also not a requirement for the workshop, but those who current hold certification may be eligible to apply for membership on an HPCC Exam Development Committee, and attendance in an Item Writers Workshop would be helpful.
The workshop is offered as a three-part course; the first two parts must be done online, the third and last part is a live webinar.
To apply, complete the first two courses online, including post-test and evaluation. For the third course, the live webinar, you must submit a sample item using this Item Submission Form
and email it to email@example.com
. Our staff will email you an application to complete and submit. Applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the webinar. The next webinar is scheduled for:
- Tuesday, October 16, 2018 – 11:00 am – 12:30 pm ET
The HPCC national office will review your application, and you will receive confirmation of your acceptance by email within one week. A week before the live webinar, you will receive the necessary information to participate in the interactive live meeting. This requires a telephone and access to a computer.
- There is no fee for the workshop
- The two online courses take an hour each, while the third live webinar course takes 1.5 hours
- Upon completion of all three courses, including the post-test and evaluation, you will receive 3.5 contact hours. Nursing assistants will receive a certificate of participation.
- Contact hours do count toward your Hospice and Palliative Accrual for Recertification (HPAR), and may be listed as "continuing nursing education."
- You must complete the live webinar within a year after you complete the first two online courses.