Pain is a common symptom addressed by hospice and palliative care clinicians, and cannabis is a common treatment option that has recently become legal in many states in the United States and Canada. In partnership with the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM), HPNA is pleased to provide a live webinar on Cannabis and Pain on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 from 3:00-4:00 p.m. EST.
In this 1-hour program, accredited by both American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) and Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), you will learn cannabis epidemiology, chemical composition and preparations, mechanism of action, medical indication, evidence for use in pain, and clinical considerations. Joe Shega, MD, and Kathleen Broglio, DNP, ANP-BC, ACHPN, CPE, FPCN, will present the content in an interesting and dynamic format and time will be available for your questions and comments.
The course curriculum has been created by , the Collaboration for REMS Education.
Kathleen Broglio, DNP, ANP-BC, ACHPN, CPE, FPCN, is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, and a nurse practitioner in the Section of Palliative Care at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. She is currently the coprincipal investigator for opioid prescribing in ambulatory palliative care and interprofessional education in palliative and hospice care studies. She provides clinical care with a focus on complex pain management and substance use disorder in patients with serious illness.
Joseph W. Shega, MD, is Board Certified in Geriatric and Hospice and Palliative Medicine and maintains an academic appointment at the University of Central Florida as an associate professor of Medicine. The first 15 years of his career was in academic medicine at Northwestern University and the University of Chicago doing clinical care, education, and research including NIH funding around serious illness and dementia care. For the past 6 years, Dr. Shega has practiced in Central Florida initially as a regional medical director, then as the national medical director, and more recently as the chief medical officer for VITAS Healthcare.
$20 for HPNA and AAHPM Members
$30 for Non-Members
Refundable for up to 7 days prior to activity offering: Contact CEProgramPlanning@hpna.org
Nursing Credits: The Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation (ANCC) under Provider Number P0284.
Physician Credits: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine and the Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association. The American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The AAHPM designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- It is the practice of HPNA and AAHPM to ensure fair balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor in all activity offerings.
- In compliance with the ANCC and ACCME respectively, we require faculty and planners disclose all financial relationships with commercial interests over the past 12 months.
- No conflict of interest exists for any individual in a position to control the content of this educational activity.
Criteria for CME/CNE Activity Successful Completion:
- In order to receive the designated 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or 1.0 hours Continuing Nursing Professional Development and Pharmacotherapeutic Credit Award for this activity, learners must attend activity in its entirety, attest to attendance at time of evaluation completion, and complete/submit the online evaluation within 45 days of attending the live activity.
- You will receive an email from Express Evaluations which will provide you with login instructions to the evaluation site to complete/submit your evaluation.
- Live Webinar Evaluation period closes 45-days post activity completion on Monday, March 3rd, 2020.