Let's Play Hot Potato! Controversial Topics in the Pharmacopalliation of Serious Illness
Led by Dr. Mary Lynn McPherson
May 21, 2021 | Virtual
Join HPNA on May 21, 2021 from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. ET as we "Spring into Education" with our first ever mini-conference. This interactive 6-hour virtual conference includes topics surrounding controversial medications, cutting-edge opioid clinical management, complicated deprescribing case reviews, and concludes with a session on "speed dating with the pharmacy ladies". The desired outcome of this mini-conference is for learners to self-report this activity validated, enhanced, or will lead to a change in professional practice in the pharmacopalliation of serious illness.
- The role of gabapentinoids, benzodiazepines, or medical cannabis given in combination with an opioid followed by discussion surrounding recent evidence on opioid dosing informs best practice today dosing methadone, dosing levorphanol, opioid de-escalation, and conversion calculations.
- How recent evidence on opioid dosing informs best practice today in dosing methadone, dosing levorphanol, opioid de-escalation, and conversion calculations.
- Best practices in managing controversial clinical scenarios including the management of delirium, potential roles for medical cannabis, opioid stewardship in hospice and palliative care, managing pain in addiction/opioid misuse, management of difficult pain cases, and perioperative management of acute pain in patients receiving buprenorphine.
- When and how to discontinue high-stakes medications such as rocuronium, propofol (during a terminal mechanical ventilator extubation), milrinone, dobutamine, prostanoid therapy, and endothelin receptor antagonists.
Conference Registration Fees
HPNA Member: $250
Non-HPNA Member: $365 - This registration option comes with a 1-year HPNA membership starting the month of registration!
- Mary Lynn McPherson, PharmD, MA, MDE, BCPS
- Judith A. Paice, PhD, RN
- Mellar Davis, MD, FCCP, FAAHPM
- Kathryn A. Walker, PharmD, BCPS
- Kasey Malotte, PharmD, BCPS, APh
- Neha Darrah, MD
- Amy Davis, DO, MS, FACP, FAAHPM
- Jeremy Hirst, MD
Successful activity awards the learner 6.0 NCPD accredited education contact hours and 6.0 Category 1 Designated Pharmacotherapeutic Credits (60-minutes per hour). Successful completion includes attending the activity in its entirety, attesting to attendance, and completing/submitting the post-activity evaluation within the timeframe specified.
The faculty and planners of this accredited continuing professional development activity have disclosed no relevant financial, professional, or personal relationship with ineligible companies pertaining to the faculty selection, delivery, and evaluation of this conference.
The Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation (ANCC). Provider number P0284.
Save the Date for the "Fall into Leadership" Mini-Conference
The Palliative Nursing Leadership Journey
October 22, 2021 | Virtual