ELNEC is an acronym that stands for End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium. These courses provide nurses with education in palliative care, preparing them to teach the information to practicing nurses and other healthcare professional. These course are written by nurses for nurses, and are designed to educate nursing providing palliative care and improving end of life care, but all members of the interdisciplinary team are welcome to attend. HPNA sponsors several of these two day train-the-trainer courses every year, with one each year specializing in pediatric palliative care.
Course content is divided into modules, with each accompanied by objectives, outline, PowerPoint slides, talking points for each slide, references, case studies, and supplemental teaching materials. The modules include Palliative Nursing Care at the End of Life, Pain Management, Symptom Management, Communication, Final Hours, Loss, Grief and Bereavement, Leadership, and Self Care. Cultural considerations and Ethical issues are incorporated into the other modules.
All course attendees receive the following:
- Updated curricula/detailed syllabus, with a flash drive that contains the entire syllabus, PowerPoint slides, supplemental teaching materials, and an extensive reference list
- ELNEC core participants receive the Oxford Textbook of Palliative Nursing, 4th ed., 2015 (editors Betty Ferrell, Nessa Coyle, and Judy Paice). ELNEC pediatric palliative care participants receive the Textbook of Interdisciplinary Pediatric Palliative Care, 1st ed., 2011 (authors Joanna Wolfe, Pamela Hinds, and Barbara Sourkes).
- Materials such as leadership building in palliative nursing, 10 communication vignettes/videos, and updated resources for self care
- Six ELNEC modules reviewed (Introduction to Palliative Nursing, Pain Management, Symptom Management, Communication, Loss/Grief/Bereavement, and Final Hours with Ethical Considerations and Cultural/Spiritual Implications embedded in these six modules)
- Continental breakfast and lunch both days, and more!
Those attending either the ELNEC Core Train-the-Trainer or the ELNEC Pediatric Palliative Care Train-the-Trainer course will receive 14.25 nursing contact hours and 2.25 designated pharmacology hours. The Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
More detailed information and registration options are available through each event listed below.