Apply to the HPNA Board
The Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association (HPNA) Governance Committee is seeking nominations (including self-nominations) for individuals to serve on the Board of Directors for a three-year term beginning in January 2021. The association proudly serves as the voice for hospice and palliative nurses. HPNA is seeking energetic, experienced, and passionate hospice and palliative nurses who will lead the provision of palliative nursing into the future.
The HPNA Mission Statement
To advance expert care in serious illness.
Commitment and Eligibility
- Applicants for the HPNA Board of Directors must have been an HPNA voting member for a minimum of two-years and an active participant in the work of the organization.
- Board terms are for three-years. Director obligations include attendance at a minimum of four board meetings per year, active work on two committees, attendance at the HPNA Annual Membership Meeting, and other face-to-face and/or virtual responsibilities that might be required.
- Board members can expect to commit a minimum of one weekday (usually Friday) and one weekend day (Saturday) for each of the four annual board meetings. Committee responsibilities usually include monthly conference calls. Board members can expect to spend a minimum of one-hour on the conference call and additional time in preparation and reporting responsibilities.
- Expenses related to board and committee participation are reimbursed. No other remuneration is provided.
HPNA Nomination Process
All applicants are required to submit the following information via email to Holly Nesbitt at email@example.com by 5 p.m. on July 17, 2020. The application to serve on the HPNA Board of Directors requires applicants to provide evidence of key competencies named on the application form. Download the application form here .
- Provide a professional resume
- Include two letters of recommendation that address the Essential Collective Competencies named on the application form. References may be contacted by the Governance Committee. If currently employed, one letter of recommendation must be from the applicant's employer. This letter must indicate the employer's support for the applicant's participation on the Board of Directors and employers specific agreement to the time commitment as outlined in the Commitment and Eligibility section of this web page.
- Selected candidates will be asked to schedule a telephone interview with the Governance Committee as an additional part of the application.
HPNA bylaws mandate that The Board of Directors shall consist of a minimum of seven voting directors with a minimum of three elected by membership. The 2020 Board of Directors currently has five elected board members.
In the past, voting members of HPNA have participated in an electronic voting process. However, for 2020, HPNA will select new board members through an appointment process. The HPNA Governance committee will review all completed applications and will make appointment recommendations to the Board of Directors. The selection criteria is based on the applicant's experience in the required essential competencies listed in the application. Applicants experience in these competencies will be assessed from the application, references, and if warranted, phone interviews.
Procedure for Notifying Applicants
All applicants will be notified by the chair of the Governance Committee regarding the status of their application. This notification to all appointed and non-appointed candidates will occur after appointment decisions have been approved by the HPNA Board of Directors. Following the appointments by the HPNA Board of Directors, the chair of the Governance Committee will contact each of the candidates to inform them of the Board of Directors appointment decision.
Download the Board Application