Apply to the HPNF Board
The Hospice and Palliative Nursing Foundation (HPNF) Board of Directors is accepting applications to serve on the board. HPNF is a 501(c)(3) national nonprofit organization which provides grants, awards, and scholarships to promote and support professional development opportunities for hospice and palliative nursing professionals, and other members of the team.
The volunteer board of directors is responsible for governance and strategic planning for the long-term growth and success of the organization.
The mission of HPNF is to advance expert care in serious illness. The foundation works toward its vision to transform the care and culture of serious illness by focusing on these strategies:
- On-going evaluation and research into the educational needs of hospice and palliative professionals
- Designing programs, courses, and curriculum to advance expert care in serious illness
- Advancing research into best practices of hospice and palliative care
- Developing nursing leadership programs at the local and national levels
- Enhancing nursing competence through certification
- Ongoing research into the correlation between nursing certification and patient outcomes
Qualifications: The HPNF Board of Directors is a competency-based board, and is seeking individuals with expertise in one or more of the following areas: fundraising, finance/accounting, grant writing, wealth management, and information technology.
Board Term: Board members serve a three year term, and may be eligible to serve one additional three year term.
Responsibilities: Functions and responsibilities of the HPNF Board of Directors include:
- Opening doors to funding sources
- Delineation of responsibility to the CEO and to board committees
- Periodic planning, review, and evaluation of policies, budget, mission and goals, priorities, bylaws, board committee and program function, and board composition
- Periodic review and evaluation of financial operations
- Attendance and active participation in board and committee meetings
- Enhancement of the image of the organization to its various public contacts
- Development of opportunities to further the mission and goals of HPNF
- Pursuit of funding sources, including individual board members financial contributions on an annual basis
- Actively participate in board meetings and committees
- Serve as an ambassador for the organization
- Engage and support the fund-raising initiatives of HPNF
How to Apply: Applicants must provide a professional resume, and two letters of recommendation. Materials should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject specified as, “Board Member Application” or mail to HPNF Foundation, One Penn Center West, Suite 425, Pittsburgh, PA 15276. The process will include a questionnaire, a review of submitted written materials by the HPNF Board Development Committee, contact of references, telephone screening, and telephone interview with committee.
Procedure for Notifying Applicants
All applicants will be notified by the Chair of the Board Development and Leadership Committee regarding the status of their application. This notification to all slated and non-slated candidates will occur after the slate of candidates is approved by the HPNF Board of Directors.
Procedure for Notifying Slated Candidates
Following the election and confirmation of the ballot by the HPNF Board of Directors, the Chair of the Board Development and Leadership Committee will contact each candidate to inform them of the outcome of the election.
Email Application Materials