Palliative Care APRN Externship
Promoting Access to Quality Primary Palliative Care – An APRN Workforce Development Program
Announcing the Palliative Care APRN Externship , a five day immersion course with faculty from leading palliative care programs. The goal of this new program is to provide extensive primary palliative education to Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs), to enrich their competency to care for patients with serious illness.
The course combines didactic including pain and symptom management, communication skill building, quality, and program development, with clinical examples. Each cohort includes only six participants, allowing for individual participant attention from their site facility. The program is targeted for novice APRNs, or those seeking a course to update their palliative care skills. The application process is based on rolling admission and program availability.
The four national sites for this program listed below were chosen based on maturity, depth, collaborative partnership, and commitment to palliative advanced practice nursing education. Those faculty involved in this new program are listed here, as well as the first scheduled courses at each location for 2018.
- Duke University Hospital and Health System Palliative Care (Durham, NC)
- February 26 – March 2, 2018 and June 4 – 8, 2018
- Jennifer Gentry, MSN ANP-BC ACHPN FPCN, and Elizabeth Zechinati, MSN AGNP-C ACHPN
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Palliative Care Service (Baltimore, MD)
- January 8 – 12, 2018 and January 22 – 26, 2018
- Michelle Churchill, MSN ANP-BC ACHPN, and Catherine Saiki, MSN AGNP-C ACHPN
- Metropolitan Jewish Health System Palliative Care Institute (New York, NY)
- March 19 – 23, 2018 and April 30 – May 4, 2018
- Colleen Fleming-Damon, PhD(c) ANP-BC ACHPN FT, and Elsbet Servay, MSN FNP-BC ACHPN
- University of Minnesota Palliative Care Service (Minneapolis, MN)
- May 21 – 25, 2018 and July 9 – 13, 2018
- Lyn Ceronsky, DNP MSN GNP-BC CHPCA FPCN, and Michael Finch, MSN ANP-BC ACHPN
- Medical University of South Carolina Palliative Care Service (Charleston, SC) – Clinical Leadership Site
- February 12 – 16, 2018 and March 5 – 9, 2018
- Patrick Coyne, MSN ACNS-BC FPCN FAAN, Mary Alder, MSN ANP-BC ACHPN, and Joan Cain, MSN FNP-BC ACHPN.
Palliative Care APRN Externship Course Director: Constance Dahlin, MSN ANP-BC ACHPN FPCN FAAN
The cost of the program is $2,500 per participant, and includes all materials and resources, breakfast and lunch during the course, CEs which have been applied for, and post-course mentoring and support. Participants are responsible for travel, room and board, and meals outside of the course. Eligibility includes APRNs in any setting or role, including Clinical Nurse Specialist, Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Anesthetist, and Nurse Midwife.
This program has been created with the financial support of the Cambia Health Foundation’s Sojourns Scholars Leadership Program, and with administrative support from the Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association. For more information and to obtain an application, contact:
Constance Dahlin, MSN ANP-BC ACHPN FPCN FAAN, Palliative Care APRN Externship Director
Download an Application Here
List of Site Descriptions and Program Dates
Click Here to Read the Press Release